Thursday, September 13, 2007

The end of "23 Things" is really just the beginning

23 things has been a fascinating journey to a place I probably wouldn't have traveled if I hadn't been offered the opportunity. For someone who enjoys and obsesses on trivia, it has been an eye-opener. There are a lot of us out there!
"To Infinity and Beyond!" It really seems that the information out there is ENDLESS. On this short trip I have learned of things I didn't know existed. Like - The Lantern Floating Ceremony (Toro Nagashi). It originated in Japan to pay respects to ancestors and to comfort the spirits of the deceased. Lanterns are set afloat on the ocean and are said to ferry spirits from the sea of delusion to the shore of salvation. On Memorial Day, 34,000 people attended the 2007 Lantern Floating Hawaii Ceremony. People of all religions attended. By the way, all 900 lanterns were retrieved and recycled! I love Japanese culture, especially Taiko drumming, which was also a part of this ceremony. If you get a chance to experience it, don't miss it.
So, I am sure I will continue to blog and learn, tata for now!

No comments: